Bridge to Employment visit to NSI TAFE
Each BTE program is design to address three strategies:
- Academic Enrichment
- Career Readiness & Exploration
- Higher Education Exploration & Preparation
To fit in with our theme for 2016, Career Pathway Exploration and to meet the objectives of the BTE program, the 44 BTE participants from Marsden High School spent the morning at the Meadowbank Campus of Northern Sydney Institute of TAFE in a session to assist them to navigate their way through TAFE.
TAFE offers vocational education and training (VET) courses that provides students with qualifications for all types of employment in a range of industry areas. The students heard from staff working in the following areas:
- Customer Service (infopoint) regarding how to enrol and important dates to note
- Learning Centre that provided free learner support and workshops to all students including assistance with languages, literacy and numeracy, communication, computing or subject-specific support.
- Disability Support Staff can provide course advice and enrolment assistance, assistive technology and equipment group tutorial support
- Pathways to university and
- TAFE and Technology
Students were provided with contact details for the Head of each Faculty to allow then to contact the most relevant person to ask questions about courses, content and what university pathway programs the faculty has to offer.
Students heard that each year a lot of students gain admission to university and receive credit for their TAFE studies. Credit transfer is a form of recognition for previous study based on formal arrangements which have been negotiated between TAFE NSW and higher education providers. Some TAFE courses may provide then with between 6 and18 months of credit towards a degree. The Northern Sydney Institute has a number of specific pathways with Macquarie University and they also have general credit transfer arrangements with over 18 of Australia’s leading universities.
Feedback from the students was very positive and they went away with a lot of information and also some good advice and points of contact.